Pages

Monday, June 10, 2013

Finish What You Started

After being stripped of my timing chip at the end of a difficult and disappointing swim at Ironman Raleigh 70.3, I sat crumpled and crying in my wetsuit while the race volunteers dismantled T1around me.  I watched as each bike rack was broken down, placed into a truck and readied for the next race in the series.

As soon as my tears subsided, I pulled out my cell phone and started scouring the internet for races.

 I wasn't finished.

I had lived in anticipation of this day for nine months and I was crushed to think that weeks of training were all for nothing.

I wasn't finished.

However there was nothing to register for that would be financially or logistically possible in the immediate future, so I settled on waiting to register for a Fall race and maybe add a few shorter races to my summer.  I tried to quiet my anger and sadness by telling myself that I would enter this next training cycle even stronger than I had started the last one, hoping to find peace in that thought.

But then Monday came.

While the hubby enjoyed a well-deserved and needed rest-recovery week, I felt lost.  I didn't need to rest.  I hadn't completed the mileage that I set out to do.  In fact, I NEEDED to run just to get out all of the frustration of not being able to race. So I planned an early morning workout of boot camp and a run on Tuesday morning.

When I returned home from that run and began to get dressed for work, I turned to the hubby and said, "Hey, what if I just go do 70.3 on my own this weekend and treat this week as another taper week?"  I fully expected him to tell me that I had totally lost my mind.  Who just plans their own 70.3?  I went on, "I mean, I don't know what to do with myself.  I'm ready to race.  I'm ready to complete this distance.  I'm NOT finished!"  I continued by telling him that I had thought through most of the logistics on my run that morning  and even though it would be tough and I would need his help to pull it off, I thought we could make it work.  When I finished talking, I expected him to tell me that I was really crazy and there's no way we could pull it off, but he didn't do anything of the sort.  In fact he was fully supportive.

That's when I started making phone calls and drawing up plans--I was going to need some help.  First I called a friend with a kayak to accompany me on the swim.  Since she had been my saving grace when I exited the water just 2 days before, she knew how much completing this distance meant to me and was on board.  Then I texted Coach E.  He knew the lake and surrounding areas and would be able to help me figure out an exact bike and run course.  Coach E knew my triathlon journey and was there for my disappointment on Sunday.  When I asked him what he thought of the idea, his reply was "How soon can we do it?"

For the remainder of the week I did my best to follow my taper plan, keep my nutrition in check, continue to check-in with my support crew and monitor the weather for a Sunday morning 70.3.  Tapering for a second week in a row was more frustrating than I had imagined, but I kept reminding myself of the big picture.  Nutrition was tough due to "End of School Year" goodies and parties, but I did the best I could.  The support crew was all in, calling and texting to firm up plans.  The only thing that could derail this plan was the weather, and it almost did.  On Friday a tropical system came through, dumping rain in the area and we all feared that the lake would be a mess on Sunday morning.  Coach E came through with a quick drive by the lake on Saturday and gave us the green light for Sunday morning, so I gathered my gear, ate my pasta, and went to bed at a reasonable hour, praying that I could follow through and finish what I had started.

1 comment:

  1. This is so awesome, Erin. I don't know why it all happened to you the way that it did~I've thought about it many times, and maybe you'll get answers to your hard questions as you go along~but I love the way you have responded. It's beautiful. It's not that you've resolved yourself ("By golly, I'm not gonna let anyone hold me back") that's not what I mean. I mean to say that you know who you are, and you know what you deserve to be able to do. You own this. And though your stats are not among the many pages of names that day, you have recorded them by your own tenacity with each stroke in that open water, every mile on Coach E's route, each step on that run. You conquered not just a 70.3 on Sunday~something several hundred did the week before you, with other athletes with them. You ruled yourself; something that some of the highest caliber athletes in the world have failed at doing. We are all very proud of you! Well done!

    ReplyDelete