Pages

Thursday, August 4, 2011

I Make Milk. . . What's Your Superpower?

That's the phrase that started this new world of blogging for me.  I posted it as my Facebook status when The Little Guy was a few weeks old and the response was unbelievable.  Multiple "likes" and comments within minutes resulted in the Hubby challenging me to write a blog.  So here I am.  As soon as I started writing, the Hubby began to ask, "So when are you going to blog about your superpower since that's what started it all?" I thought it over and realized that I have so much to say about breastfeeding--the importance, the benefits, and my personal experiences.  I wanted to save it all up for this week--"World Breastfeeding Week"!  Last week on a road trip the Hubby and I were talking (I was knitting while he drove) about what I might include during a week of blogging about breastfeeding.  I had it all planned out in my head and along came day 1 and life happened--there were toys to play with, corn to shuck and freeze, triathlons to train for, kids to feed. . .

So here I am half-way into World Breastfeeding Week and I haven't blogged a bit about it.  Not one iota.  But then I ask myself, "Why wait until one week a year to celebrate nursing?  Why not talk about it all year long?" Why?  Because for some people this is a very uncomfortable topic.  It brings up guilt, regret, anger, frustration. . . it can be the dividing line in the world of mothering and cause hot debates among friends and in the media.  As I sit here typing, I am filled with the fear that this post will anger a friend or spark a debate.  Honestly, that is not my intention.  I am not writing about breastfeeding to make someone feel guilty--that isn't what motherhood is about--I'm writing about it to raise awareness-- To encourage new moms to stick with it, seek out help and persevere because the benefits are so numerous.

And to share my personal story. You see, breastfeeding is not easy, at least in the beginning.  It is not magical and "all-natural" as it is made out to be in some circles.  Sure, I was blessed with two babies that were quick to latch-on (and stay on and on and on. . . .) in the recovery room post delivery, but the days that followed were filled with frustration and sometimes pain.  Breastfeeding babies is a learned skill, it take patience and practice and does not necessarily come easily to every mother.  In retrospect, I realize just how lucky I have been.  Sure, we had roadblocks--oversupply, teething battles, bottle refusal, and a mommy that went back to work full-time at 4 months and 10 weeks, respectively. However, my babies were both exclusively breastfed from birth--not a drop of formula, ever.  It took patience, practice, perseverance, and support of everyone around me.  My husband and parents were 110% supportive of the decision to breastfeed and never once pressured me to think about an alternative.  Not only that, but I relied on the advice and support of friends that were seasoned mothers who had traveled this path before me and could help me reach my goal of feeding my babies my way.  I never thought to set small goals to reach as far as nursing was concerned ("Well, if I can just make it to 3 weeks, 3 months, 6 months. . . .").  I had the big picture in mind (at least one year) and was determined to make that happen--although the statistics were stacked against me.

So, stay tuned for more posts over the next few days about our "Adventures in Breastfeeding".  Not to make you feel guilty or freak you out, but to raise awareness and celebrate motherhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment