Pages

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Going the Distance

Remember this post?  I had just completed my third triathlon and I was feeling pretty good about the progress that I had made since September of 2009.  In case you missed it, I had gone from an essential non-swimmer to an "Ok, I can complete a short swim in a pool-triathlon" swimmer.  My confidence was growing and my swimming was getting faster and more efficient.  Well, since that post on June 16, I have continued triathlon training and completed four additional races.  Yes, FOUR!  In fact, I even placed third in my age group in one race and won a Rockin' new travel mug to keep my java warm each morning as a prize!

In September, I returned to the site of my First Triathlon--White Lake, NC.  This was the place that I had faced my open-water fear head-on (and had spent the better part of my swim right next to a canoe in full hyperventilation because I was convinced that I would not finish that 250m swim!).  The lake was just as beautiful and clear as I remembered it.  To take away some of the pre-race jitters, we arrived at the site early the day before the race, just so I could swim a bit and reacquaint myself with the water.  After a few trips between the docks, I felt ready to tackle the race the next morning.  And tackle, I did.  I took a grand total of NINE minutes off my total race time from 2009.  My swim time was recorded as only about 2 minutes faster, but I learned later that the course was a bit longer this year, so I truly had made significant progress (all those laps and trips to Jordan Lake for training had paid off!).  As the hubby and I drove home, we discussed the race and upcoming races left in the season.  I confessed that although I really enjoyed these quick super-sprint races, I was ready to tackle a bigger beast.  We agreed that May 2012 would give me plenty of time to prepare mentally and physically for a new, longer distance and we moved on to a new conversation to pass the time on the road.

A few weeks later, our Tri-group started chattering about getting in "one last race" for the season.  I knew that I still had one super-sprint distance left, but encouraged the Hubby to sign up for the last "hurrah" with the gang, knowing that I didn't feel ready for a longer open-water swim, yet.  Somehow over the course of the next few days, I became the owner of a wet suit and I was registered to "tri" a sprint distance race.  What in the world was I thinking?  This was me--the girl that barely made it out of open-water the first time she tri-ed.  Could I really swim THREE times the distance I was used to IN A LAKE??

The morning before the race, the hubby, our buddies, and I bundled up (it was a cool 47 degrees) and headed out to try out our wet suits in the cool waters of Jordan Lake.  As everyone else zipped through the water, swimming around the buoys, I hovered close to the shore and stopped frequently to readjust my goggles and swim cap, all the while asking myself "What the Hell were you thinking signing up for a race this distance?" Then I followed up by reminding myself of the cost of the race and wet suit and I paddled on.  As we stripped our wet suits off and traded them for sweatpants and fleece jackets, the conversation focused on race pointers and reminders for the next morning.  I felt my anxiety growing, but I was also excited about this new distance and milestone.  Not to mention the fact that this would be the first triathlon ever that the hubby and I would be doing together!  No cheering from the sidelines--truly cheering and racing together!

The next morning, a 2:45 wake-up call came early, as we had to travel 2 hours to reach the race site.  The hubby, my brother and I met up with another couple and drove to Pinehurst drinking coffee to wake up and warm up (it was 49 degrees) and eating my usual pre-race Luna bar.  When we arrived, the 1/2 mile walk from the parking area gave us a taste for just how cold the air was going to be when we mounted our bikes after exiting the water.  I wasn't worried about the cold. . .I was only worried about the triangular buoys out in the lake that I would have to pass in order to even get to my bike.  When I saw the lake, I had to swallow back my fear.  It looked huge. . .and cold. . .but now was not the time to back out.  I set up my gear, visited the leaning tower of potty (yes, the port-a-johns were on a hill), and shimmed into my wet suit while fighting back tears of fear and anxiety. "Here goes nothing!"  The swim waves began and one-by-one (or mass by mass) my friends left the shore.  My brother, the hubby and Coach E swam first, followed by steady-Eddy J and then my wave--the Novices.  Newbies to the sport and scared out of our minds, we huddled on the shore and prayed for a fast easy swim with no chop and few kicks to the face.  The horn sounded, and we were off.

Two hours, four minute and thirty-eight seconds later it was over.  I had done it.  I had completed my first Sprint distance Triathlon.  And you know what?  I had fun doing it.  Sure, I was scared.  The start of the swim was terrifying--the first 400 meters were awkward and taxing--but I found my rhythm (even after veering off-course about 50 meters--you can have brunch on a houseboat mid-swim, right?) and finished out the swim with strength and energy.  The bike course was brutally hilly and my toes were absolutely numb with cold by mile 5. But I found a group of cyclists to stick with and even passed a few people on the uphills thanks to my light ride!  The run is always my favorite part and I definitely found my groove there with a killer time (for me) and a really strong finish.

No, I didn't finish in the top half of my division (although my brother finished top three in his!), but I finished and that was all that mattered that day.  I also came to the realization that as much as I love the atmosphere of the small, women's only super-sprint races, I missed the challenge of adding distance.  Although I was not fast by any means, I felt stronger when I spent more time doing each event (i.e. I felt strongest in the swim after 400m, The bike started rocking at about 12 miles, and I just hit my stride in the run at mile 3).  What does that mean?  Well, I hope that it means that I will spend time training longer distances for next season!  I already have my sights set on a few races for the spring and fall.  Could an international be in my future?  We shall see. . .

But for now, I am off to get a little shut-eye before my last race of the season. . .





Official Results for Pinehurst Sprint Triathlon
750M Swim: 21:53
T1: 3:48
18MI Bike: 1:11:26
T2: 1:08
5K Run: 26:25:00
Total Finish Time: 2:04:38


Finish Strong!




No comments:

Post a Comment