Pages

Friday, June 10, 2011

Owl Make the Coffee, Dear.

I love coffee. 

I love the way a hot, steaming mug of java warms your hands on a cold winter morning.   I love the smell of brewing coffee when I rise to meet the day.  And recently, I have learned to love the art of making coffee. 

After 10 years of marriage, we have had our share of coffee makers—insulated carafes that keep your coffee warm from morning until noon, timers that have your coffee brewing before your feet hit the floor, built-in grinders that freshly grind the beans of your choice each day. . .  each appliance had its perks, but one by one they stopped working or no longer suited our needs.  A few years ago we fell in love with a popular coffee maker that brews by the cup.  Convenient, quick, and just enough—we were sold and enjoyed each cup.  That is, until the coffee maker failed to work.  Faced with the task of buying a new coffee maker, we decided to try something new: The French Press.

Now, I love kitchen gadgets and all things food related, but I had never used a French Press.  I had not the first clue about how to operate this carafe and “plunger” to produce the perfect cup of coffee.  However, over spring break, I became brewmaster of the morning, rising early each day to scoop the coarsely ground beans into the glass beaker, waiting patiently until the tea kettle sang a morning song to wake the world, and pushing the “plunger” ever so gently down into the container before pouring a steaming hot cup of love. 

If you have ever used a French Press, you understand the patience involved in making a perfect cup of coffee.  It is almost like an art.  The only problem is that the coffee quickly cools, if you don’t drink it all at once.  I searched the internet for a “French Press Cozy” pattern to knit up and cuddle my dear morning companion and found a few to choose from.  After scanning them, I decided to go out on a limb and design my own!  So here you have it. 


Tiny Owls all around!

And by the way. . . the summer heat wave is upon us here in the south and my usual cup of hot love is a little too hot.  I do enjoy a good iced coffee in the summer!  A tip to keep your coffee cool and not watered down: Pour your leftover coffee into ice cube trays and freeze! Remove them, store in a freezer bag, and pop a few in your cooled coffee when you want a refreshing, cold cup of caffeine!

1 comment: