Pages

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving Queen

My Grandmama Frances was the Thanksgiving Queen.  Everyone around our small town knew that Frances went all out for the big day.  She planned for weeks and cooked for days to prepare the perfect meal for the ones she loved the most, along with all the other people she invited in to share in her feast.  And what a feast it was!  She had a tendency to go, um, overboard, literally--there was so much food that I can vividly remember having an ironing board set up in the kitchen to hold a few extra casseroles one year!  There was food everywhere you turned and you could never eat enough to satisfy her!  Leftovers?  No problem!  You could eat for a week and still not deplete the supply of casseroles, turkey, ham, vegetables and gravy.  

Those memories are why I love Thanksgiving so very much.  It truly is my favorite holiday.  In 2002, my Grandfather Snooks (Frances' husband) passed away, and I knew that Thanksgiving would be particularly difficult that year.  I decided to take on the responsibility of hosting Thanksgiving for our family--we had a new house, hardly used wedding china and all the time in the world to plan, shop, cook and host a lovely Thanksgiving meal.  I (in my usual fashion) stressed over each and every detail to make it a perfect holiday for our family.  And it was.  Simply perfect.  The menu was delicious, the company fantastic and the prep and clean-up a breeze.  From that point on, I declared Thanksgiving "my holiday" to host. Although my menu was not nearly as extensive as Frances', I selected some family favorites, along with some new items to display on the table, and everyone agreed that I could take responsibility for the cooking for this gastronomic affair.

Since 2002, I have hosted Thanksgiving five times.  In the years that I did not host, we either traveled East to be with my other grandma, or I had a brand new baby, so my mom took over the plan (last year she cooked an entirely dairy-free meal for me!).  This year, as the holiday approached, we began to discuss who would cook the meal. I would like to say that every day is like a Norman Rockwell Painting around here and the children behave beautifully while I prepare meals.  But, alas, this is reality.  I was worried that taking on the entire meal, while the hubby worked a 10 hour shift, would be a little stressful.  Just a little.  So instead of doing the whole thing, my mom and I agreed to split the responsibilities this year.  She would handle the main dishes and I could do a few side items and dessert. 

 Although I was relieved to not have the stress of cooking while dodging Legos and Wooden pizza toppings strewn across the floor, I was also sad to give up some of the tradition of cooking the meal.  As a way to break from the old tradition, I decided to choose new desserts to grace the table.  As an homage to Frances, I chose a pear cake (featuring the pears from our own trees growing in what used to be Frances' yard) and a pecan pie (a staple in this old house when Frances lived here).  However, I knew my boys (Dad, brother and the hubby) would want a little something chocolate, so I thumbed through my old cookbook of clipped recipes and found the perfect answer--Bourbon Pecan Pie with Chocolate Chips.



Bourbon Pecan Pie with Chocolate Chips
(or Black-bottom Bourbon Pecan Pie)
*I wish I could give credit for this recipe where it is due, but I honestly have no idea where it originated.  I have it copied on an old slip of paper and pasted into my cookbook.  So, thank you, whoever you are--you are genius!)


Ingredients:
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used a whole cup, but I like chocolate!)
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/3 cup sugar
3 T firmly packed brown sugar
1 T all purpose flour
3/4 cup corn syrup (I used light)
1/4 cup butter, melted (I used Earth Balance)
3 T Bourbon (or more, if you like!  This doesn't count what you drink while you make it! )
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups pecans
1 pie crust (I used Whole Wheat because it is what I had.  Whatever you do, get deep dish!)




Sprinkle Chocolate chips into the bottom of the pie crust to cover.


Beat eggs and next seven ingredients at medium speed until blended.



Be sure to acknowledge your extra cute helpers along the way!


Pour batter into crust, over the chocolate chips until it is half filled and then cover with the pecan halves.  Drizzle with remaining filling being careful not to overflow, like I did!



Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until set!


I had an extra pie crust that I had to use to repair cracks in the first one.  I used the extra crust to make pie-toppers!  (This was a first for me!)  The Reporter is not a fan of pie, but does love the crust, so I thought she might enjoy eating the "leaves"!


Serve with whipped cream (or whipped coconut milk, if you are me!) and a hot cup of coffee! 
Enjoy



To my Thanksgiving Queen, 
Thank you for teaching me to love this holiday of thankfulness and plenty.  I stood in your kitchen today and let the memories of Thanksgivings past wash over me.  
We are truly blessed and for that I am thankful.



1 comment:

  1. She was a very special lady and I know she would be so proud of you and all the cooking you do. Thanks for sharing this story and recipe.

    ReplyDelete