Pages

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Thirty Days of Thankful

Last Year, I decided to join the masses on Facebook and participate in "Thirty Days of Thankful".  Each day leading up to Thanksgiving I posted a little something I was thankful for whether it was big or small, personal or public.  This exercise helped me to refocus my thoughts to positives that surround me each and every day that often go unnoticed--my kids' giggles, a kind word from a coworker, a gesture of love from the hubby. . .things we enjoy in the moment, but move on from.  When I was forced to sit at the end of each day, reflect and choose one moment that touched my heart or one thing that impacted my day, I was required to shut out the negative of the day or to make lemonade out of an otherwise lemon of a day by finding the silver lining.

You see, as unattractive as it is, I tend to be a glass-half empty whiner when things get tough.  I envy those with the ability to have a sunny outlook in the middle of the darkest storm, yet I was hopeful that reflecting on my "thankfuls" each day would help to change that mindset--if only for thirty days.

About half-way through the month, a friend and mentor mentioned how much she was enjoying reading my thankful statement each day. (I am sure she was relieved to see a change from my usual ho-hum or snarky status updates.)  She then told me of a book that was written by a Godly woman who decided to take a similar challenge by "Daring to live fully, right where you are".  Ann Voskamp's beautiful book One Thousand Gifts soon found its way onto my nook reader and into my heart.  Her words touched my soul as she sought out moments each day that were gifts--the sheen of the soap bubbles, the rise of the moon.  Her words are a "celebration of Grace and a recognition of the power of gratitude" and a beautiful reminder of just how blessed we all are each day.

This year, as November rolled around I began to see Facebook Friends posting about the "30 days of Thankful Challenge" once again.  I began the month with gusto and loved the reminder to find a little positive each and everyday (a challenging task for a public school employee this time of year).  However, about a week into the challenge, I felt that something was missing and took a moment to reflect on what could make this challenge even better.  I realized that the people that I love most were missing out on my "Thankfuls".  Oftentimes, the hubby is too busy to catch up on Facebook during the week, so he was missing out on these moments of gratitude.  The Reporter and The Little Guy are too young for Facebook (obviously), so they too were missing out on Mommy's positives.  At that moment, I decided to make the "Thankfuls" personal this year.  I wanted them to understand how thankful I am for their presence in my life, but I also wanted to extend the challenge to my family--Could the Hubby and The Reporter find something meaningful to be thankful for each day?  Would they be able to look past the surface and find true grace in each moment?

I decided that each evening at dinner we would share our thankful thoughts for the day.  However, I wanted a way to document this challenge. I headed right out for the supplies.


I found beautiful Fall Scrapbook paper. . . .


Cut it into one inch strips. . . 


And waited until dinner. . .

That night at dinner, I pitched my idea to the family.  At the conclusion of the meal, I asked the Hubby and The Reporter to write down one thing that they were thankful for that day.  The first few days of "Thankfuls" were a struggle, but now that we are half-way through the month, the thoughts are becoming deeper and the thankfuls more sincere.  And our dining room is wrapped in gratitude. . . .


and our hearts are full of love.



Who knew that $1.50 purchase of scrapbook paper could have such an impact?




No comments:

Post a Comment