Pages

Friday, July 22, 2011

Friday Finds!

It is a hot Carolina summer.  Today our temperatures will flirt with the century mark and people everywhere are seeking out relief from the heat.  As I looked back over my blog, I realized that I hadn't posted any Friday Finds in a while.  Honestly, they are the least visited pages in my history, so I didn't feel pressured to keep it up each week.  However, today I wanted to find something to bring out the positive in this dreadful weather.


I searched the web for fun ways to cool off in the heat, pictures of cold drinks, bathing suit ideas. . . nothing seemed appropriate. 


I realized that what I was looking for wasn't a way to cool off or avoid the heat, but a way to recognize the goodness of the Earth and what is provided for us. Then I remembered a line from one of my favorite childhood movies: "If I ever go looking for my heart's desire again, I won't look any further than my own backyard; because if it isn't there, I never really lost it to begin with."  In all my complaining about the heat, I neglected to recognize the goodness of our ever changing seasons and the bounty that we collect as God oversees nature doing its job.


So here you have it. . . Five Friday Finds straight out of my own backyard! (and I have blistered feet and a sweat soaked tank top to prove it!) 


A basket full of zucchini and yellow squash
Remember my rant last week about negative productivity and the weeds winning?  Well, they are still winning, kind of, BUT my little plants are producing!  I picked 3 more after this picture was taken!  This is my second year starting everything from seed and I love seeing the progress!

Chicken love

Despite the heat, our girls are still laying heavily and providing us with lunch each day! We keep them extra hydrated and treat them with watermelon and tomatoes!


The Reporter was happy to note that the zinnias are finally showing their beautiful faces around her cottage. . .

First beans of the season
I decided to plant both green and purple beans this year for some variety.  I only picked a few today, but my plants are covered in blooms.

fresh blueberries

Our blueberry bushes that we planted two years ago have made a tremendous showing this year.  The birds are sharing our joy since it has been a little hot to pick!  The Little Guy loves these and so does his big sister!  She picked a whole bowl last week and only half made it inside the house!  


So, I may still complain about the heat, but I will do it with a happy heart and a full tummy.  
God is good to us--even when we are sweaty.


Have a wonderful weekend!  New projects and posts coming. . .









No comments:

Post a Comment