Pages

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Make and Do

As I have mentioned in previous posts, I have always been a lover of books.  I have recently become enamored with non-fiction, but as a  young child, my selections were usually fiction--delving into words of fantasy to escape my own little world.  However, I often picked up informational books for fun--to learn new things or get ideas about how things were made.  I guess my obsession with arts and crafts started early, as one of my favorite childhood books was the Childcraft Make and Do book.
How many of you had a copy of this very book? I still have my copy somewhere in my parents' attic.  I could spend hours combing through the pages of this book looking for my next "art project".  Would it be clay beads?  What about a doll house made entirely of old shoe boxes?  Stilts out of tin cans, anyone?  I fantasized that my projects would be just as perfect as those pictured on the pages of Childcraft.  Somehow, they never turned out quite the same--a little drippy glue here, a misplaced bead there.  But still I held onto the hope that I, too, could create art pretty enough to display.

Well, not much has changed over the years.  I still comb through pages of books and the internet (Have I mentioned Pinterest?) to find "art projects" to occupy my time (as if I have any spare time!).  Most of my projects over the past few years have focused on knitting (my primary crafty love), with some occasional EASY sewing thrown in for the kiddos.  The Reporter makes frequent requests for stuffed animals, legwarmers, and pillows.  I also enjoy "crafting" new recipes and kitchen projects.  This summer I decided to get back to crafting and involving the kids in the process (although the Little Guy is happy just to roll a ball around the living room as the Reporter and I craft!).  So, here you have it. . . . a photo journal of some of our recent projects (and a few links to where ideas came from, if they weren't originals!).  As the summer progresses, I hope to have more to show, especially with our upcoming Christmas in July project I will share with you next week!   I hope this will inspire you to pull out your sewing machine, or just a few pipe cleaners, and get crafty!  

Tile Coasters found here

The Reporter inherited these flowers and butterflies from her cousins.
 We transformed them into a mobile!

Bandanna Pants!  Tutorial found here.

A first birthday shirt and hat!

My favorite project this summer, so far--the Sleepover Pillowcase!
We made one for a gift and one for The Reporter!

Fun Fourth Shirt!!!  Idea from here.

A little kitchen creativity for The Little Guy's birthday!  Almost Vegan Mudpie!


Now, go get crafty!!










No comments:

Post a Comment