Pages

Friday, July 15, 2011

Negative Productivity

Have you ever had one of those days where you feel that you have accomplished nothing?  Yep.  That's been my week.  We returned from Maryland on Sunday evening and I hit the ground running by weeding a bed in the vegetable garden and topping it with a rich layer of leaf mulch.  I went to bed that evening with dreams of tackling the garden head-on the next day. I also planned to kick of Christmas in July this week and finish some outside painting projects.

Monday came and the temperatures began to soar out of control.  It was too hot to garden, run, bike, anything.  So, instead of garden, I cleaned out the kids' closets and toys and made a trip to Goodwill for a sizable drop-off.  The playroom was rearranged (not really to my liking, but better) and I even got in a little knitting and a good swim.  Despite the wicked temps outside, the week held promise of productivity and progress.

Tuesday arrived and all productivity ceased.  It was too hot to move (our OLD house has poor insulation in the kitchen which deters cooking and cleaning in that area when the mercury rises) and the humidity outside was miserable.  Workouts outside were out of the question, unless it involved water. So I swam, again.  On a positive note, I dropped a  sizable chunk of change on a rockin' new ride!  Wednesday followed suit with heat and humidity.

I felt utterly defeated.  I looked out at the garden that so desperately needed weeding and wanted to cry.  The weeds had won.  Again.

Thursday brought marked improvements in the heat and humidity.  I woke up with a new feeling of hope that this day would lead to progress.  Indeed!  The Reporter wanted to go on a bike ride, so we headed out for a 3 mile ride (I walk/run with her)! I'm so proud of her for setting goals and sticking to them!  When we returned home, I tackled the weeds for a bit while the kiddos enjoyed the sand and water table (now filled with water only since the Little Guy sees sand as a great snack food!).  The weeds continued to win, but not by much.  The day ended with family TV time and lots of snuggles.

This morning's glorious temperatures (62!!!!) have restored my faith and hope that I WILL win in the garden, I WILL get in a good run today, I WILL play outside with the kiddos, and I WILL maintain a positive attitude.

So there you have it.  A totally unproductive, nothing to show for week.  But I remain hopeful that the weekend has great things in store!

No comments:

Post a Comment