Pages

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

A Southern Girl's Foray into Frying

Around here, we love food.  The hubby and I haven't met many foods in our time that we didn't like.  Growing up in the south, I learned early on to appreciate good food, especially good southern cooking.  Each New Year I cook up a big ole pot of collard greens and black eyed peas to go with pork and cornbread, just as my grandmother did in this very kitchen.  This kitchen I have the opportunity to create in now has served up some of the best food on the planet--BBQ ribs, chicken pie, and fried chicken were some of my favorites during my formative years.

As I have grown older, I have also grown significantly more health conscious, as has my husband.  I love to cook, but tend to stick to healthy choices (most of the time) using techniques like grilling, baking, and sauteing over smothering and frying (although I won't pass up a good stuffed pork chop drenched in gravy!) I enjoy taking time to create a weekly menu full of delicious, healthy and colorful meals for our family.  I often seek out new recipes and ingredients to expand our palates and my cooking skills.  I am not easily intimidated by recipes or techniques.  However, there is one thing I have never attempted. . . frying.

Now, I have fried up a pound or two of bacon in my time, sure.  But deep frying in a pan of oil is a whole other story.  The thought of a vat of hot oil sitting on my stove top was paralyzing.  What do I do with it?  How hot do I make it?  What if it pops all over the kitchen and someone gets burned?  The anxiety was overwhelming, so I simply avoided the situation altogether.  I deemed it unhealthy and never revisited the thought of frying anything in my kitchen. . . until today.

This morning, I started thinking about dinner (I had failed to plan the menu for today) and suddenly wanted a big plate of fish and chips. mmmmm. . . I could just imagine crispy chips dipped in ketchup and beer battered fish drenched in malt vinegar.  Several places in town have delicious plates of fish and chips, but we have vowed to eat at home more often, so I knew that going out was out of the question.  I had fish in the freezer, but how could I make chips at home?  I called upon my good friend Pinterest and started searching for frying tutorials (I tell ya, Pinterest has everything!).  I found this one that looked easy enough, and started making a list of things I needed to tackle this project.  Dutch oven--check! Potatoes--yep, from the CSA! Thermometer, strainer and lots of oil?  Uh-oh. . .  so we took off to the store to get the rest of our supplies.  When I told the hubby where we were headed and what was on the menu, he looked at me skeptically and pointed out that the oven was broken.  I assured him, that I would not be making my traditional (and yummy) baked chips in the oven.  Never fear, Dear!  I am frying!!

When we returned home, The Reporter and I got right to work.
Potatoes, Oil, and Malt Vinegar!

Our original plan was to use the apple, corer, slicer, peeler thingy to make ribbon fries, but the slices were too thick, so we settled for using the mandolin.  The Reporter had fun requesting different slices--ruffled, plain, julienne, etc.  Then the potatoes took a bath. . .


Soon, it was time to face my fear and FRY!!!!
I was shocked at how easy and non-messy it was!

After several batches, and even more taste-tests, the finished product met the plate:
Fish and Chips!
with
Slaw and Hummingbird
Wow!  So easy and delicious!  My six year old cleaned her plate and requested more (slaw, that is--although she is munching chips right now as I type!) In fact, a little too delicious.  I told that hubby that this new knowledge and skill could be dangerously fattening.  He nodded and requested fried chicken next.  All kidding aside, I do feel a bit better about my homemade junk food versus what we would get when we dine out.  And knowing that it won't be a habit (right?) gives me a special treat to look forward to every once in a while.  I felt successful and actually had lots of fun cooking dinner tonight! After 34 years of living in the south, I guess I am a true southern cook now, since I have learned to fry!

Off to find a fried chicken recipe! Right after I clean up The Little Guy. . .










1 comment:

  1. The picture of little man at the end is just the best! Definitely a sign of a great meal. Welcome to the world of frying. We LOVE food too so I enjoyed every mouthwatering detail in this post.

    ReplyDelete